The Quarantine Diaries // vol. i

Thursday, April 30, 2020

my view most days
It's hard to know what to say about it all.

As I'm beginning this, it's been 45 days since the world turned upside down. In some ways it feels as though we just got the news yesterday, but then I remember that finals are over and an entire show should have taken place over the past month and the thought of dancing in a crowded room or actually hugging someone sounds so foreign but so wonderful, and I realize that it's been a very long 45 days.

In the grand scheme of it all, I know that I'm so, so lucky. I'm safe at home. My school + work was able to easily switch to being fully online. We have everything that we need here, and we're still able to see people through Zoom. But I'd be lying if I said that it's been easy. That first week was filled with lots of refreshing the news, lots of stress cleaning, and I may or may not have knit so desperately and furiously that I gave myself blisters that didn't go away for three weeks.

But as with most things in life, I've settled into it. I'm using my planner more than ever, simply because it keeps me feeling grounded. I've fallen into a schedule of sorts for myself in an attempt to make up for the lack of routine. My family teases me about being too much of a workaholic, but I just do so much better when I have concrete things to check off and get done. (Then again, type 6s do tend to go to type 3 in times of stress...so there's also that.)

More than anything, I just miss my people - but there's nothing unique about that. I don't know many people who aren't struggling with the isolation that has come along with this season of being quarantined. Still, it's been hard. Going from constant rehearsals to not hugging my people for over a month has been a major shock to the system. There have been days where I'm pretty sure I would have traded a kidney to be able to be back in the theater with my kids. And while I'm all for staying quarantined as long as is necessary - safety is always the top priority - man, I cannot wait for the day that the world starts turning (safely!) again.

But it hasn't been all bad. I've been in my Bible more in the last 45 days than I probably have been since 2020 started. I'm finally getting sleep, a rarity in my life. I've had more meals with my family than I have since I can remember, and technology has been a complete lifesaver for staying in touch. The weather has been warm and sunlight is always streaming through my windows, and it helps me to breathe.



I expected to get a lot more stir-crazy than I have, which has been a pleasant surprise. I've always been a homebody, so being home in and of itself hasn't been bad. I've always said that I'd love to work from home after I graduate, and I stand by that. It's nice to be in my own space and to have more control over my schedule. I also have somehow made it 45 days without getting bored once???

This is partially due to the fact that quarantine has been so much busier than I expected. I work in social media, and quarantine has meant that everyone wants to majorly up their content output, so between school and work, I've spent 90% of my day glued to my laptop since all of this started. That part has been good for me, though - like I said, I do better when I'm busy. But I also have constantly had a never-ending list of things that I want to do for as long as I can remember, so boredom is nowhere on my horizon.

That being said, as of today, I'm done with school for the semester, so I'll definitely be having more time on my hands. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little nervous about that, but I hope that it will be good. And I'm pumped to have another semester down - only three more to go, and you'd better believe that I will be counting down the weeks.

The brightest spot of this quarantine season for me took place at the end of last week - since my dance kids weren't able to have their recital this year, my mom and I came up with the next best thing. We spent half of Thursday and all day on Friday driving around to each of my kids' houses to surprise them, then we videoed them dancing in their yards and I edited all of the footage together for an end-of-year video. It was all super safe, and it was so sweet to get to see them, even from a distance. :) The videos turned out really cute, and I'm so grateful to have that keepsake from such a crazy time. I'll be holding on to those two days for quite a while.

-----

the things keeping me sane

d o i n g :

- puzzles. they're tangible + calming in the best way.

- journaling. i don't think i missed an entry for the first thirty days, and it really has been a saving grace.

- allllllll the day planning. it's keeping me grounded.

- slowly easing back into novel writing once more. I forgot how much I missed it.

- lots and lots of poetry writing, thanks to the #escapril challenge on Instagram. I'm doing it completely wrong and will be writing #escapril poems long after April is over, but I really just don't care - it's been freeing in a way.


w a t c h i n g :

- SO much Gilmore Girls. We're going through the series for the first time, and we *just* started season six. spoilers upon penalty of death.

- lots of Frasier, because it's just comforting

- The Last Five Years is currently free on YouTube and it blessed my life in the best way.

- To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You. I'm sorry, you cannot tell me that Peter is a better choice than John Ambrose. You can't change my mind on that.

- Bandstand was available for streaming and it was the absolute most beautiful thing, even if I'm forever brokenhearted that the performance I had tickets to was canceled.

- Paul Gordon's Pride and Prejudice: The Musical. Oh my goodness gracious. I think that this was my favorite thing I've watched all quarantine. It was available as a free stream for 24 hours, but it is SO worth renting - I cannot recommend it enough, especially if you're a Pride and Prejudice fan. My entire family was obsessed with it. The host site, Streaming Musicals, is streaming Emma (also by Paul Gordon) for free on May 6th, and you'd better believe I'll be watching.


r e a d i n g :

- Nehemiah, and then James, and now Proverbs. I'd never really read through Nehemiah, and it was so good.

- Home Work by Julie Andrews, my favorite human of all time.

- To Kill a Mockingbird. I could read it over and over and it would never be enough.

- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - not my favorite, but I think I was just expecting something different.

- SO much poetry for school, along with The Giver and A Separate Peace, neither of which will be rereads.

- quarantine updates from Meaghan, Joanne, and Carly.


e a t i n g :

- lots of homemade bread, because maybe we're basic but bread is wonderful.

- pasta with chicken + sun dried tomatoes + herbs

- so many baked goods. God bless my mother.

- probably too much coffee ice cream

- also have been drinking more water than I ever have in my LIFE so yay for balance


l i s t e n i n g :

- all of John Mayer's Continuum album

- The Kate and Abbie Show - these two incredible friends of mine chat about creativity, art, stories, health, life, and everything in between, and it's so sweet and calming to get to listen to them.

- Sleeping at Last's podcast episode unpacking the song "Four". The enneagram insight is incredible and I love hearing about the thought behind everything he does.

- honestly just the most random mixture of songs. at some point I should make a playlist - maybe we'll do that in the next quarantine diaries post


m o m e n t s :

- started up a Zoom baking club with my favorite humans, and it's been a definite highlight.

- took an online dance class from Al Blackstone and suddenly felt more like myself than I had in weeks and weeks

- we had a pet show-and-tell on Zoom in my elementary dance class one day, and the kids without pets brought stuffed animals. I did the entire class with a stuffed Simba by my side and it was pretty darn precious.

- one of the best parts of this season has been all of the sweet, sweet chats with blogger friends. this extra time away from the crazy has given us all the chance to connect a bit more, and I'm grateful for it.

- got to shoot the first set of my sister's senior photos under my grandparents' gorgeous cherry tree

- had the loveliest Zoom scrapbook party with my soul sister Hannah P.

-----

I hope that you're all hanging in there, friends. You've been in my prayers. Hopefully we'll be out of this soon, but until then, I'm still here. Always feel free to shoot me an email or a DM - I'm always here. 

Keep staying safe. Keep social distancing - let's end this thing.

Check in time: how's quarantine been treating you? What has been keeping you sane? Any book/movie/show/podcast/song recommendations? How can I be praying for you?

Until next time. 



21 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful reflection post. It's so calming and hopeful and I loved reading all your thoughts. We're all struggling in some way, but there will be hugs again. I also love your lists and have to check out all the things you mentioned! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hannah! Definitely looking forward to those days. <3 I hope that you find something that you enjoy from the lists!!! You'll have to keep me posted. :)

      Delete
  2. this was so lovely and inspiring! I am posting a really similar post tomorrow that was inspired by this format <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear!!! I can't wait to check out your post. <3

      Delete
  3. k. I know everyone is saying it, but post is truly lovely. Your #escapril posts have been GOLD.

    Weird how this thing has been limiting our physical interactions, but skyrocketing our long-distance ones. I have absolutely loved getting to know you better through all this. Thanks for being the #1 person I want to tell when I’ve found a new musical. : )

    xoxxo
    k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting to know you better over the past few months has quite truly been my favorite part of all of this, my dear K. So grateful for you. xxx

      Delete
  4. I can agree with so much of what you are feeling. The zoom call with the kids sounds amazing! I would love nothing more to do that with mine but it’s a larger community and I don’t see the same kids often. You’re truly a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish that you were able to! It's so special. Hope you're doing well, V!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for such a lovely glimpse into your heart and life in this crazy time❤

    "Journaling. i don't think i missed an entry for the first thirty days, and it really has been a saving grace." - yes, yes, yes!!!!😁

    You're in my prayers!❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've had a busy quarantine time! Reading this post was so relaxing. Also - how did I not know that Julie Andrews wrote a book?! I will definitely be adding that to my reading list. Things I've been obsessed with during quarantine include Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi, The Vampire Diaries, and decaf coffee, woop woop. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping busy has definitely been my tool to keeping sane! You definitely should check out Julie Andrews's book - she's actually written two!! I have my fingers crossed for a third. :) Emergency Contact has actually been on my list for a while now. I'll have to bump it up and give it a try!!

      Delete
  7. Erin, I have been branching out of circle of blog friends which is why I am on your site this morning. Refreshing read, you are a clear writer, no guessing as to your meaning in the whole read, good writing skill. At 73 and up until a week ago we were sharing a house with our son and family which includes three adorable grandchildren who always kept things living. We made a major move a week ago since our son bought a smaller house they could afford without us. It was time to separate, it had been four years of my daughter in and I sharing a kitchen. It will work because we both have the Lord, but it was time. Now we are living in our rv in northern Mn. working on a cabin on our daughter and family land for a permanent place for us. We had been living in Papua New Guinea for years and due to our health had to come home. I cannot tell you how many times I have moved, more then I can count but God continues to move us. Our plan is to get this cabin ready, get a smaller rv and travel to our meetings all over the north and south west. We are Member Care reps for our mission, Ethnos360. At 73 we are still not ready to retire, we love what we do and as long as the legs will move, heart will beat we will keep busy. I guess for me this whole crisis is not too scary. We have lived in two third world countries so there was always some kind of crisis going on. We have done without nothing because we have few needs and it's God job to supply our needs cause He said He would. But, here is truth, one never and I mean never gets to old to get in the flesh when things do not go my way. Never too old to learn, praise God. I am writing a book too, a memoir but have hit a totally dry spell during this time. As I sit here in our quiet rv I should be writing on it but am enjoy connecting with new blog people right now. I love reading wisdom flowing from the younger women, it so encourages me. I have a 22 grand daughter, just graduated from college who made me cry yesterday when she told me she read this book I sent her mother and it moved her to tears. It's titles, Unoffendable by Brant Hansen. I love seeing others get incited in the Lord especially if I have had a part in it. So, let me say again, you have encourage this older women. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opps lots of mistakes because I did not re-read before sending. I need grace a lot.

      Delete
    2. What an incredible life it sounds like you have lived! I love hearing about all the places that the Lord has taken you. I know that your memoir will be a huge inspiration to so many people. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom!!

      Delete
  8. Hi, this is real testimony of a spell doctor who helped me bring back my lover , who broke up with me. i had lost all hope about my fiance coming back home but thanks to Dr Aigbomian who help me bought my fiance back if you're going through this same problem kindly email Dr Aigbomian on this draigbomianspellcaster@gmail.com his WhatsApp number
    +2347040843115.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Call Dr. Dr bante for urgent and fast love spell +2349063962262 or email him bantespelltemple@gmail.com

    I lost my husband to another woman,after 4 years of marriage . We had a lovely marriage but he started a relationship with a co worker who chased after him . He is living away near his work and he refused to talk to me or to come home . I was so devastated and found it hard to cope. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a comment by Amber that suggested that Dr bante helped her solve her marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. 2 days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr bante. If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you. His email bantespelltemple@gmail.com And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349063962262Thanks Dr. bante

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want to share my experience with the entire world on how i got my husband back and saved my marriage… I was married for 5 years with 2 kids and i have been living happily with my family until things started getting ugly with me and my husband that leads us to fights and arguments almost every time… it got worse at a point that my husband filed for divorce… I tried my best to make him change his mind & stay with me cause i love him with all my heart and didn't want to loose my husband but everything just didn't work out… He moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce… I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster called Dr Mark, Who eventually helped me out… I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try it because I was desperate and left with no choice… He did the spell for me and things really work out as he promise and my husband have a change of mind and come back home to stay with me and the kids. And promise never to hurt me again. we are living happily as it was with the help of Dr Mark. If you are in need of any help you can contact Dr Mark Email: drmarktempleforsolution@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family. I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can WhatsApp Lord Zakuza for help with this number +1 740 573 9483 or you can send him an email to Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

♥ Comments brighten my day- I'd love to chat ♥

CopyRight Grace Anne Johnson 2024 © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan