Thankfulness Thursday I

Thursday, November 1, 2018


It's that time of year again!

Gratitude is something that we all could be better about practicing year round, but we're all reminded of it a bit more around Thanksgiving. Three years ago, in 2015, I decided to put a particular emphasis on taking note of everything that I have to be thankful for by starting a Thankfulness Thursday series here on Totally Graced for the month of November. The posts were simple, just short lists of things that I was thankful for over the course of the week. Since then, Thankfulness Thursday has become an annual tradition, with bloggers from all over the world joining in each November. The posts vary from incredible stories of God's goodness to mere sentences, the kind that are all you can choke out when your brain is spinning in a thousand directions. At the core, however, they all share the same message- on the good days and the bad, the easy and the hard, there is always something to be grateful for. 


I'm really excited to jump into the fourth year of Thankfulness Thursday! The beautiful Vanessa of Simply Me has already come on board to participate alongside me this month, and I would love for you to join in as well. You don't have to post every week, and it doesn't have to be long or complicated. You can even join in on social media if you prefer. Thankfulness Thursday is just a great way to celebrate all that we have to be thankful for, no matter how you decide to join in. Everyone seems to be super stressed out in November, whether that's due to the impending holiday season, finals, NaNoWriMo, or just the general pressures of life. I've found that doing Thankfulness Thursday posts is a great way to refocus myself each week and remind myself that amidst the crazy, everything's going to be okay. 

-----

There are so many things that I'm thankful for. I'm thankful for the fact that I have incredible people in my life, a job that I love, and access to anything that I could possibly need. I'm thankful for rest and for adventures, for dancing and for peace.

But something in particular that I've been thinking through lately the fact that I'm grateful that I'm not the one in control. 

Hear me out. I am a control freak. I've long since accepted this about myself. I'm about as Type A as you can get. Lists calm me. I don't like surprises. I'm most comfortable when I feel like I have a steady grip on everything around me. I realized a long time ago that, in one way or another, all of the things in life that freak me out the most involve some aspect of a loss of being in control.

And yet, I've been realizing lately that I am so grateful that I'm not. 

October was a strange month. There were multiple situations that took place that didn't work out at all how I would have necessarily hoped, and definitely not how I would have chosen had I been able to change things. I'm a bit of a verbal processor at times, and often when I'm in the car alone for long periods of time, I find myself working the things that have been spinning in my brain out aloud, asking God to make sense of them, to help me understand. And as I was doing this one morning, the thought flew into my head, clear as day- "Why am I upset over this when God's the one in control, not me? Why would I want to be the one in control here? Doesn't He know so much more than I do? He has it all worked out. Why am I even hesitating to be okay with that?" 

When something doesn't work out the way that we might have liked, what if we didn't take it as such a negative thing? What if we realized that maybe our own plans weren't quite so perfect after all?

So lately, something that I've been adding to my chats with Jesus is, "Thank You so much that You're the one in control and I'm not." Because that's something to be grateful for. I can't even imagine what a mess it would be if we were the ones running the show. 

Amidst a thousand other things, this Thursday, I'm thankful that I'm not the one in control.

-----

Thankfulness Thursday Friends ♥

Vanessa -- Simply Me

(Leave me a comment or shoot me an email if you join in and I'll link your post here! Let's share the gratitude this November. )


-----

How's life going, friends? What are you thankful for?




11 comments:

  1. I love this post! And I so can relate to wanting a plan and realizing that I don't have control over most of the things I worry about. But your right, our plans, our life is in much more capable hands than ours. God's got it!
    I am thankful for eighteen years, today (I still can't believe that I'm 18 today!), that I have been blessed to be in a amazing family! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you could relate, Brooklyne! So grateful that He has it and we don't have to worry about a thing. :)

      Oh my goodness, happy belated birthday!! I hope that your day was wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful post Grace Anne! Always a good reminder to be thankful! I am so thankful for so many wonderful and amazing things... God has been good!
    I just found your blog, and its absolutely beautiful! If you get a chance, here's a link to mine belivy.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    Livvy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Livvy! I will most definitely check out your blog!

      Delete
  3. This is such a lovely reminder to remember something that I often forget. I am not in control and God will guide the way. I'm glad you shared this message! Looking forward to more thankfulness Thursdays! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'M THANKFUL FOR YOU AND THESE BEAUTIFUL POSTS YOU WRITE. Your words always inspire me and resonate with me HARDCORE. I, too, am a total control freak and what you said about it in this post really touched me so THANK YOU. Whenever my plans get thrown off (even just a little) it messes me up SO BAD. And I think that really does have to do with a lack of trust on my part. I don't trust that God will take care of everything. So yes this is definitely something I've been thinking a lot about… just practicing giving Him all my worries. <3

    Have you ever heard the song "Fear No More" by The Afters?? I think you would love it. I cried. :')

    love you and your beautiful words!!
    ~ Abbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH I AM SO THANKFUL FOR *YOU*!!!!

      It's so hard having those control freak inclinations. Like, I immediately start freaking out when things start changing and I feel like I can't grab hold of the ship. I've really been working on just taking a second to pause and breathe and say "Okay. Your plans, not mine." before I keep going. SUCH a work in progress. 😅

      I had never heard that song until now!! I just listened to it and was immediately obsessed. LIKE WHAT THE HECK I NEEDED THAT SO BAD. Thank you so much for sharing :')

      I LOVE YOU!

      Delete
  5. I really want to do Thankfulness Thursday!! I'm going to try if I remember haha.

    Nabila | Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

♥ Comments brighten my day- I'd love to chat ♥

CopyRight Grace Anne Johnson 2024 © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan