The One Hundred Word Challenge

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

a while back, my good friend Rachel had a wonderful idea on her blog- write about a single memory in exactly one hundred words. no more, no less. as a writer, this forces you to be concise, to chop the excess, and to figure out how to give readers a peek into your brain in only one hundred words. for readers, this makes them think about what the author has chosen to share. why are these memories so important to them?

as humans, we tend to be more verbose than we need to be. i love how this challenge forces you to strip things down to the bare minimum. thanks, Rachel, for this lovely idea. 


-----


Driving to the city, the first day trip adventure in a while.

Shopping and cute bookstores before meeting up with the best friend. We look at weird clothes and spend at least thirty minutes in the Disney store.

Frantically trying to find that one dress in the time we had left.

Running to the theater, no time to get ready. Slipping into our seats and watching the show. Running into old friends afterwards, laughing about everything.

Late nights call for milkshakes. Stirring straws and talking talking talking.

Saying goodbye and parting ways. Few things are more fun than random adventures.

-----

I dare you- take a memory, and share it in exactly one hundred words. Then send me the link, because I'd love to read it. ♥


31 comments:

  1. That is so awesome!! I love how clear a picture you painted of your time in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was so much fun to write!

      Delete
  2. Grace, this is such an wonderful idea. I loved reading yours, it's so sweet and simple, yet sounds so meaningful. I'll definitely do this:)

    ~ Pip | Pip and Lolly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pip! It's such a fun writing prompt. :) You'll have to link me when you do!

      Delete
  3. I think I'm going to take on this challenge pretty soon... <3

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THIS it's so good!! You capture everything so concisely. I just may have to try this sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I totally need to try this. Love how you captured it so clearly with so few words. <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally try it! It's such a great exercise!

      Delete
  6. This was awesome!!! <3 <3 What a cool idea.
    xx

    Sophy of sophyslighthouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a good idea!! I'll have to put this on my blogpost ideas list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Rachel's ideas are always the greatest. I can't wait for you to try it!:)

      Delete
  8. What a perfect challenge idea! I like it. I think I'll have to try it out sometime. And that sounds like a lovely adventure you had. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it! And yes- it was a wonderful adventure:)

      Delete
  9. Challenge taken! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awe milkshakes with friends are the best! And this is a really cute challenge. I think I'll do it!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? Always a great way to spend time. And I'm so glad that you took part in the challenge!!!

      Delete
  11. Oh I love this! And it is such a good exercise to get one writing concisely! ALSO ADORE THE PHOTO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I love how it really makes you think about your words. :) AND THANK YOU ISN'T IT SO LOVELY AND COLORFUL?! <3

      Delete
  12. Ooh I really like this! I think I shall partake in it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea! I think I'll do it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey!

    I wanted to tell you that a blogging friend of mine ( Lydia Howe ) is about to publish her book, and needs help with reviews. She is giving out free e copies to anyone who is willing to review it on their blog. I thought that I'd let you know incase you're interested. I am helping her spread the word about it. XD If you want to help out and review the book on your blog, then you can fill out the sign up form below. In the form is a synopsis of the book.

    Have a blessed day!

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeKbYduG5Ts4nZx99d3y5h6dP86NlWQ2wWriWgZ4kfuwXZW9g/viewform

    ReplyDelete

♥ Comments brighten my day- I'd love to chat ♥

CopyRight Grace Anne Johnson 2024 © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan