Book Review- The Fixer

Tuesday, May 23, 2017



In complete honesty, YA has been frustrating me lately. I haven't found any really good books in a while. As a result, I haven't spent a great deal of time reading recently. Let's not even talk about my Goodreads challenge..I'm so behind it's ridiculous. 

In August, I picked up The Fixer at a used book sale. If I remember correctly, it was under $3, so despite the fact that I knew nothing about it and usually like to research books ahead of time, I grabbed it. Junior year has been crazy, though, so I never actually got around to reading it. Life finally started to chill out towards the end of April, and so I wanted to start reading again. My sister had read  The Fixer a few months before, and said that I should definitely give it a try, so I did. 

Less than 15 hours later, I was online looking up the sequel. 

The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a YA political thriller. Now generally speaking, I'm not a fan of anything super political, but bear with me. When sixteen year old Tess Kendrick is forced to move from Montana to D.C. to live with her estranged sister, she has no idea what it will truly entail. She certainly doesn't expect to end up surrounded by murder, bribery, secrets, and espionage. 

Oh my gosh. This book. I cannot properly put into words just how much I love it. Where do I even begin?

The characters were impeccable. There was not a single one that I didn't just fall head over heels in love with. Tess, the main character, was fierce, spunky, and kicked butt like nobody's business. She was strong and independent, and while most of the time I find myself not being a huge fan of main characters, I adored her. Her sister, Ivy, was basically who I want to be in life. She was cool, collected, and poised, and I swear to you, ice runs through her veins. She is a shark who knows exactly how to work any situation, but at the same time was so passionately loving towards the people in her life. These two were the epitome of strong female characters. 

Then we had the supporting cast. Oh my goodness, how I loved them. Asher, Vivvie, Henry, Bodie, Adam- the list goes on, and they all were absolutely perfect. They all were so quirky and lovable and different, but just SUCH well-written characters. When my sister and I were talking after I finished the book, we honestly couldn't pick a favorite character because they were all so well done. Even the "bad" characters were intriguing and beyond well-written.

(Speaking of which- William Keyes? And the president's wife? I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THEM.)

On top of the amazing characters, the plot drew me in from the very beginning. It was so intriguing and full of twists that I couldn't put it down. Not even kidding guys, this was a reading by flashlight at one a.m. book. I was constantly on the edge of my seat, wanting to know what was happening next. I fell into every one of the author's traps, only to be shocked the next page when something completely different from what I was expecting happened. I was so invested in this story. It was fantastic.

My biggest beef with this book? IT ENDS ON A BABY CLIFFHANGER. Like, excuse you? Thankfully, I am in possession of the sequel, and am quite anxious to read it. My sister already read it, and seemed to be slightly emotionally destroyed, so I'm curious, albeit a bit terrified, haha. Jennifer Lynn Barnes is an incredible author, and I can't wait to read more of her work. Go read this book. You won't regret it. 

RATING- ⭑⭑⭑

-----

Have you read The Fixer? If not, YOU SHOULD! What have you been reading lately?

10 comments:

  1. Whoa!! This sounds so good!! I will definitely be reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hullo Grace!! I found your blog through Tane's and I ALREADY LOVE IT!!
    I mean, first, your blog name is perfection! Then the first post I see is about books??? WHERE DO I FOLLOW?!?!
    I aaalways have a hard time finding clean books!! I tend t read a lot of juvenile fiction as a result, WHICH ISNT BAD AT ALL! I love JF a LOT!! (If you want a good book to read, Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy is FANTASTIC. Also, The Mysterious Benedict Society. Oh! Also The Doldrums. Oh oh! Also The Incorrigible Children of the Ashton Place. Aaand I'll stop now. Sorry ;P )

    Aanyway, I will totally read this book as soon as possible!!
    ~E
    P.S. I just became a contributor to Burning Youth and I saw that you already contribute!! That's awesome!! *high fives*

    scribblingpencils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Esther! Oh my goodness, thank you so much for all of your sweet words! They mean so much! :)

      JF can be really good! I've wanted to read The Mysterious Benedict Society for a while now:) I'll have to check it out sometime soon!

      You'll have to let me know how you like The Fixer! It's so good:)

      Welcome to the Burning Youth team! I'm so excited to have you on board! It's such a great community. <3

      Delete
  3. You made this sound so incredible that I just purchased it on Amazon Prime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, this absolutely made my day! You'll have to let me know what you think of it! :)

      Delete
  4. Finding an amazing book is the best feeling, especially when you've been reading a lot of not very great ones. This book sounds very interesting. I'll have to put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the absolute best, oh my goodness. You definitely should! :)

      Delete
  5. I've read this author's other series, and I did like it! This book sounds so intriguing, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to get my hands on the author's other series- if it's anything like The Fixer, I'm sure that I"ll love it. You'll have to let me know what you think of The Fixer!

      Delete

♥ Comments brighten my day- I'd love to chat ♥

CopyRight Grace Anne Johnson 2024 © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan