Why I Blog

Monday, August 8, 2016


It's a question every blogger has asked themselves at one point. Oftentimes it comes in a moment of frustration. Is blogging worth it? Should I really be doing this? Am I wasting my time?

Why do I blog?

When I was first putting together my plans for this month, I knew right off that this was a question that I needed to answer. Not only because it fit the theme, or because people might enjoy reading it, but because I needed to put it into words for myself. Why do I really blog? Why do I put myself through all the stresses of trying to constantly pump out content that will be enjoyable for the people who read this little blog of mine?

To put it in the simplest of terms, I blog because I cannot imagine not blogging. It has become more than a hobby to me, it's become a lifestyle. Blogging is an integral part of my life, it's a passion. It's something that is consistently on my mind. Blogging follows me wherever I go. When I'm out and about, living my day to day life, I"m surrounded by inspiration. There are so many words to write, photos to take, stories to tell.

I feel quite badly for my family- they've probably heard more about blogging over the past two years than they would ever want to hear in their entire lives. It's an everyday thing for me- coming up with ideas, taking a million photographs, trying to get everything *just* right. But I love it all so much.

I love the blogging community. I've had the opportunity to get to know such amazing people. Like, everyone is so encouraging. I could count on one hand the amount of negative comments that I've ever gotten- all of which were from faceless, nameless trolls. I can't think of anyone I've ever interacted with that was rude or unkind. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the comments that you all leave on my posts always leave me with the biggest smile on my face. I'm surrounded by so many incredibly talented, inspiring people, and you all push me to be better. So thank you. <3

Blogging is one area of my life that is limitless. I can be as creative as I want to be, write about anything that I feel passionate about. It's kind of the control-freak's dream. XD I'll be honest- I'm a people pleaser. I want people to like me, and I want to keep them happy. I'm perfectly happy not being brought to the center of attention very often, and I worry a lot about what other people think. It's silly, but it's true. For the most part, my blog is a secret. Aside from maybe two or three friends who I told like, the day that I created my blog in a moment of excitement, no one outside of my family knows that this space exists. And there's something freeing in that. When I write for this blog, I'm not worried about what someone reading is going to think. I'm just myself.

(Granted, I know I shouldn't be so worried about what people think, and I should be more open with this space. I'm getting there. I have plans to slowly begin to share it, I just have to get to the point where I feel a little more comfortable. As time has gone by, I've become happier with how my blog is, and less afraid. I don't know. It's a work in progress.)

Anyways, tangent aside, that's another reason that I blog. The freedom. The ability to be myself, and share anything that happens to be on my heart. It's an experience I don't really have outside of blogging.

I blog because I have a need to write. When I don't have time to keep up with a journal or just write for fun, I'm still driven to blog because I want to continue publishing things for you all. Blogging gives me the opportunity to write when I usually wouldn't, and I have the hope that maybe every now and then something that I say will make a difference to someone.

I blog because I want to bring joy to people. If something that I share can make you smile or laugh, or make your blah day just the smallest bit better, then that makes me really happy.

There are so many more things that I could mention, and I'm sure that as soon as I publish this post, I'll be kicking myself because I'll think of more things that I wish I would have said. But that's the crux of it. That's why I blog. It's a part of who I am. It brightens my day. It's something that I love.

- - - - -

Now it's your turn- why do YOU blog? 







33 comments:

  1. GIRL THIS IS AMAZING I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU COULD EVER BE INTIMIDATED BY MY POST LOL WOW

    this is so great I just want to scream, "SAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      SSSSSSSAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE

      Delete
    2. UMMMM BECAUSE YOUR POST IS FLAWLESSNESS AALIYAH K? K. I CANNOT WAIT FOR IT AHH. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. This gave me all the feels. :') I found it motivational in a way. It reminded me of why I blog, and it made me realize that this really is a huge part of my life, and that's ok! It took me a long time to get to a point where I was comfortable sharing my posts on Facebook, with my friends, etc., but it has been really good for me. (It's probably a good thing that I waited to share posts, after looking back at my archives!! :D)
    I am a people-pleaser too, and I still have some things to learn and get comfortable with, but I have come a long way! Blogging is gradually becoming a major part of what I do, and I am loving it!
    Thank you ever so much for this post, Grace!! Keep up the amazing work! ♥♥

    ~Megan<333
    (megans-journals.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you could find this motivational!!! It's more than okay, it's AMAZING that this is a big part of your life! Because your blog is wonderful! I still haven't gotten to the point where I'm comfortable sharing with more than a few people, but I'm definitely working towards it. Goodness, I'm thankful that I didn't share those early posts..ouch. XD
      I'm so glad that you're loving blogging, Megan! And I'm thrilled that you enjoyed this post. ♥♥♥♥ Thank YOU for reading!!!

      Delete
  3. I love all of those reasons!

    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sevenbloggersandtheirdolls.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I related with this a lot. Thanks for sharing! :)
    Ellie R.
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think i'm going to take this post and shove it in the face of every single person who ever asks me why i blog again. THIS IS TRUTHHHH.

    I'm such a people pleaser it's bad. Like, I need to stop caring about what OTHER people think and start living fearlessly. Agh. But you're right..till a certain extent it should be there otherwise I'd just be going off the wall. (without Vans.) but i also love what you said about blogging becoming a way of life. SO TRUE. it's just a part of me now, and i don't think it'll ever stop. my mind thinks in blog-post format.

    AND YOU'RE RIGHT THE BLOGGING COMMUNITY ROCKS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS COMMENT MADE ME SO HAPPY, AUTUMN!!! ♥ Please do shove this in people's faces, it would make me quite happy XD

      One of my goals for this upcoming school year is to live more fearlessly. I'm sick of letting myself be controlled by others!! But you're right, a little of it is healthy.

      I feel like once you're a blogger, there's no going back. XD You're forced to think like a blog post for the rest of your life.

      DOESN'T IT?!?!?!

      Delete
  6. This is so sweet! I love that your blog gives you freedom and creative enjoyment :) Blogs are such a weird thing when you think about it -- they are pieces of ourselves we share with strangers. But it's a wonderful thing. I think I blog for the same reason: because I love to write, and it is my outlet. But the community aspect of it is really, cool, too, and I have been so encouraged by that as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is weird! The thought about putting so much of your life out there for strangers is a funny thought, but I think that it's beautiful, too. You can get to know people in such a unique way through blogging! And just having the opportunity to write on a platform that people actually READ is so beyond cool. :)

      Delete
  7. Grace, I love when you write things like this and let us see into your thoughts. These words are all so wonderful and the reasons you blog ARE THE BEST.

    "I blog because I cannot imagine not blogging" That little phase right there I want to put somewhere on my blog because it is so damn true! This might sound odd but I hope that we grow old together, and that our blogs grow old together that we get older sharing experiences and just life all together. I have grown quite attached to some blogs and yours is for sure one of the ones I am attached too. Let us blog until we are old.

    I am always happy when people mention the blogging community since it is my favorite thing! I think about all the comments, support and love that is given and received and I can't think of anyone being negative. EVER. That there is so special. My sister who is also hears me talk about my blog way to much but my friends, not so much. For some reason I can't share this piece of me with a lot of them.

    ANYWAYS before I go on and on about this post and how much I love what you have shared I am going to just say I love this and thank you for making me feel proud to blog. I am also proud of you! <3

    Going to find a spot on my blog to put the words "I blog because I cannot imagine not blogging"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, this comment literally made my entire day! I was smiling so much. I really do hope that we grow old together as blogging besties. Your blog is one of my all time favorites and I've loved seeing it grow!

      Isn't the blogging community the best?! I can't get over how sweet and encouraging that everyone here is. My friends don't hear about it much either, aside from a select few. It just makes me too nervous.

      And I am so proud of YOU! So much love for you, Vanessa. I loved that Instagram post;) <3 <3 *hugs*

      Delete
  8. YOU'RE A FREAKING INSPIRATION!!!!!!!! <3333333 I'm so proud of you!! And also so thankful to have *virtually* met you x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABBY YOU ARE THE SWEETEST PERSON ON THE ENTIRE PLANET OH MY GOODNESS. <3<3<3 I am SO thankful to have gotten to know you through blogging <3

      Delete
  9. Pretty much for all these reasons! <3 <3 I love these kinds of posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Emily! I'm glad that you liked it!

      Delete
  10. These are all so awesome and good and awesome! Super cool post!

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been asking myself this too, as my schedule changed and I had many other things pulling at me. Somehow, though, my week never felt complete without a blog post.

    I agree with you that it keeps us writing, creating, and sharing even when we don't feel like it. It gives SUCH a wonderful community and this sense of identity in who you want to be.

    I find blogging a way for my to truly discover grace in everything. It's really surprising how my theme carries over into all parts of my life. I constantly pray for God to use my imperfect blog in His perfect ways.

    Grace, you are such an inspiration to me and a blogger that defines blogging. I love this series! (ps, expect an email from me this afternoon.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good way of putting it, Hannah- I never feel complete without blogging. It's too large a part of my life! Your theme of grace in everything is so wonderful, and you truly do exude grace in every sense of the word. I know that your blog has touched countless people, myself included. <3

      YOU are an inspiration to me!! So much love for you, Hannah:) <3

      Delete
  12. THIS. I LOVED this article. I can relate to it even though I just started blogging, and it is lovely to hear that I'm not the only person who feels this way about writing or blogging or the blogging community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it, Tiffany! Your blog is absolutely wonderful- I can't believe you just started blogging!!

      Delete
  13. I agree with you on the freedom thing. My family doesn't actually know I have a blog at all. I'm very close with them and so it can be really hard for me to show them any of my writing. Because when you're writing, you have to become the characters and immerse yourself in the setting. My family doesn't know me as being super dramatic and they don't know me as the characters I make. So it's awkward to show them that completely different side of me. (partly why I didn't want you commenting on Jada while my parents had to use my email account. If they know about my blog, they'll be reading it and I know I'll start holding myself back when I write if they're reading it). I want to be hard-hitting when I write, and I feel like I'd be skimming over big things if they were reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. It's SO hard for me to show anyone my writing- my novel is completely off limits, haha. I know what you mean- it's hard to show something so vulnerable. I always struggle with it. But I know that they would love your writing- I certainly do. <3

      Delete
  14. You are so wonderful. <3 And I totally agree about it being freeing - a handful of people know I blog, but the majority of my followers aren't people I know in real life, and there is definitely a special feeling, a freedom that comes with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU are wonderful, Olivia. <3 Isn't it such a special feeling? I love it so much.

      Delete
  15. Grace Anne, this is truly inspiring. <3 I LOVE what you said about being true to yourself and not caring about what other people think. It's funny because it seems like the majority of blogs (that is so-called "popular" blogs) are written in such a way that I'm like "are you actually enjoying writing about this or are you just writing it because you think I'M going to enjoy it???" YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? anyway, I hope I'm never like that because I'm totally with you: writing from your heart is where it's really at. :) <3

    I LOVE THIS TOO MUCH I CAN'T EVEN TALK RIGHT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEY REALLY ARE! It's funny how easily you can tell the difference between someone who is writing about something they're passionate about and someone who's just writing because they think that it will get them pageviews. I don't think that you ever have to worry about that, Abbie- you're one of the most amazingly passionate people I've ever met. <3 <3

      YOU ARE THE BEST <3<3<3

      Delete

♥ Comments brighten my day- I'd love to chat ♥

CopyRight Grace Anne Johnson 2024 © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan