Blonde Takes On The Big Apple- Traveling!

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Traveling:

We left for New York waaaaaaay too early for my tastes. As in, getting up at 5:30 a.m. early. Ouch. I'm seriously not a morning person, guys. But we were driving, and let's face it- NYC is pretty far away from the South. At least the time change worked in our favor- it felt more like 6:30. Early, but not as bad as it could have been.

I think that we ended up spending roughly around 12 hours traveling. It probably wouldn't have taken that long, but we stopped for food, had trouble navigating, etc. I spent most of the ride reading, listening to music, etc. (Also eating a cupcake, so that was pretty awesome)

Speaking of reading. Guys.

Have you ever read The Outsiders?

If you haven't, OH MY GOSH, GO TO THE LIBRARY RIGHT NOW.

This book. THIS BOOK. I'm going to have to review it. But it is such a soul crushingly beautiful book. Once I finished it, I honestly couldn't read anything else for a while. My mind was still trapped in that world. The Outsiders definitely changes the way you look at things, and it makes you appreciate the sunsets.

Gosh my mind is getting trapped in that world again I need to focus.

Anyways.

One thing that really surprised me about the drive up was how breathtaking the foliage was. It was past the peak leaf season, so I wasn't really expecting it, but oh my word. It was absolutely beautiful. The leaves were so bright, and the whole ride up was just gorgeous. That definitely helped with the whole stuck-in-the-car-all-day thing.



These pictures totally don't do it justice, but I thought I'd share them. 


I also started Mockingjay in the car! BUT I ONLY READ THE FIRST HALF!! That was slightly torturous. 

So that's how I spent most of the car ride, along with desperately texting my friend S and probably driving her out of her mind. I LOVE YOU!!!

We made it to Brooklyn that night, and I'm not going to lie, I was thoroughly terrified at first. If you've never been to Brooklyn, let me just give you this advice- try to arrive during daylight. Because at night it literally feels like you could die at any minute. We tried to get food and ended up at this super scary grocery store...you couldn't go anywhere without hearing swear words 24/7...it was all just a bit scary. We ended up finding food at a Shake Shack, which seemed to be the most popular restaurant in the city haha, I saw them everywhere! Anyways, it was kind of a weird first night in the city, I was a bit apprehensive, but I had no idea how much fun was to come! Can't wait to tell you all about it:)

6 comments:

  1. I have to be awake by 5:20 every morning. I don't recommend that at all.

    I read the Outsiders in seventh grade because it was a required book. When I first got it I wasn't too thrilled over it because it's not really my style of book but it didn't take long for me to get into it and I've loved it ever since. Johnny and Dally…. oh my gosh, my heart. I had so much sympathy for those two.

    The first part of Mockingjay is a drag, and the last half felt too rushed. The movie handled the pacing really well, making that aspect waaaay better than the book… but the movie downplayed the minor characters (FINNICK, Johanna, Annie, Haymitch, Beetee) and they cut out the cafeteria scene (I'm sooo mad about that), the pine needles scene, and they did no training for the war whatsoever. The wedding scene also disappointed me because it was literally Katniss's expressionless face for 80% of it. Like, is Annie the bride or is it Katniss because Katniss is being featured more!

    Okay, that turned into a rant… *covers face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word that's terrible. There is a 112% chance I would die.

      Those two...they killed me! Agh. I had to read it for school, too, and now I have to write a paper on it. I don't know how on earth to capture just how amazing that book is.

      I'm really interested to see the movie's pacing compared to the book's pacing. Nooooo, what the heck, why did they cut that stuff?? Those characters are the BEST, and I adore those scenes. Just...why?? And oh my goodness, I cannot believe they did that to the wedding scene. WE DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU RIGHT NOW, KATNISS.

      I'm ranting right along with you haha!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read outsiders, i probably should, considering that is the non musical show the my local theatre is doing this summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, awesome! You should definitely read it.

      Delete

♥ Comments brighten my day- I'd love to chat ♥

CopyRight Grace Anne Johnson 2024 © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan